Thursday, May 15, 2008

John, Jesus and Baptism

Family Home Evening Lesson
John, Jesus and Baptism

Opening Song: “Baptism” ( Children’s Song Book #100 )

Opening Prayer: Daddy

Lesson: Mommy

Scripture: This lesson based on Matthew 3. Have Scriptures for visual.

Lesson.
John the Baptist taught in the wilderness. He told the people to repent. He wore clothes made of camel hair and ate locusts and honey. (Allow children to put on a wool coat/jacket or something similar) Show picture of John Gospel Art Picture Kit #207 Jesus came to John to be baptised. John was surprised. He thought Jesus should baptise him. He knew Jesus was perfect and didn’t think he would need to be baptised. Jesus said it was a commandment from God and he wanted to obey. John baptised Jesus in the Jordan River. The Holy Spirit descended as a dove and God spoke from Heaven saying “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” Show picture of the baptism Gospel Art Picture Kit picture 208

Activity
Do a dove craft. Click here for different dove craft ideas from paper or here for a felt peace dove.



Closing Song: “When I am Baptised” ( Children’s Song Book #103)

Closing Prayer: Child

Treat:
Eat honeycomb. Honeycomb can usually be bought at health food stores or farmers markets, if you can’t get this you could just eat honey, or for sweet treat honeycomb candy, violet crumbles or crunchies or recipe below.

Honey Joys







90g (about 3 Tbs) butter or margarine
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon honey
4 cups Kellogg's® Corn Flakes

Preheat oven to 150°C (300ºF).
Line 24 hole patty pan (mini muffin pan) with paper cases.
Melt butter, sugar and honey together in a saucepan until frothy.
Add Kellogg's® Corn Flakes and mix well.
Working quickly spoon into paper patty cases.
Bake in a slow oven 150°C (300ºF) for 10 minutes.
Cool.

*If you like the honey coating double the mixture of honey and sugar - I do.

Recipe from Kellogs website

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog! I love it! Thanks for all the great ideas! I hope you don't mind if I link your blog to mine.

Perry Family said...

That is wonderful! I think we will try it! What a special FHE!

Meghan said...

i also just found your blog and i am so excited, i think you have solved my problem of how to have FHE with my 3 year old. thanks!

Kerri said...

Natalie - I am glad you are starting to post again. late last year, I started an FHE blog just to keep us consistent with doing it (nothing gives me more incentive than having to record what we do each week). I found your blog when I was trying to come up with ideas for activities. I loved them and even referenced your blog several times. I just wanted to thank you for starting them up again because it is not easy trying to come up with ideas for small kids.